Explore The Island
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Ocho Rios (Spanish for “Eight Rivers”) is a town in the area of Saint Ann on the north bank of Jamaica and is all the more generally alluded to as Ochi by local people. Starting as a tired angling town, Ocho Rios has seen unstable development in the most recent decade to turn into a mainstream traveler goal including obligation free shopping, a voyage transport terminal, incredibly famous vacationer attractions and a few seashores and acclaimed resorts. notwithstanding being a port of call for journey ships, Ocho Rios likewise has freight ships at the Reynolds Pier for the exportation of sugar, limestone, and before, bauxite. The assessed populace of the town in 2011 was 16 671, which is almost 10% of the all-out populace of St. Ann. The town is served by both the Donald Sangster International Airport (97 km west of Ocho Rios) and the Ian Fleming International Airport (17 km east of Ocho Rios). Scuba plunging and other water sports are offered in the town’s region.
The name “Ocho Rios” is a perhaps misnomer, as there are not at present eight streams in the region. It could be a British debasement of the first Spanish name “Las Chorreras” (“the waterfalls”), a name was given to the town due to the close by Dunn’s River Falls.
History Of OCho Rios, Jamaica
Ocho Rios was initially settled by the clan of Arawak Indians called Taino, who had settled in Jamaica at around 1,000 BC and called the land Xamayca, which means the place where there is wood and water. After Christopher Columbus arrived in 1494 and asserted the island for Spain, Ocho Rios was named Chorreros meaning fast waterways. The Tainos were at last demolished by malady, subjection, and war. Some likewise ended it all, apparently to get away from their conditions as slaves. Spain carried the principal African captives to Jamaica in 1517 as workers to deal with estates all through Jamaica, including Ocho Rios.
In May 1655, British powers held onto the island from the Spanish. The English misconstrued, confused and misspoke the Spanish name Chorreros and called the town Ocho Rios, which sounded close enough. In 1657 and 1658 the Spanish, cruising from Cuba, neglected to retake the island in wild fights in and around Ocho Rios known as the Battle of Las Chorreras.
Verifiably, Ocho Rios had never gained any noticeable job in either the English or the Spanish. It was, be that as it may, used by privateers who alongside Port Royal, viewed it as an ideal base of tasks. At the point when servitude was authoritatively abrogated in Jamaica in the time of 1834, the town entered a time of neediness and resurrection. With frontier intrigues evacuated, the historical backdrop of Ocho Rios was made by the recently liberated slaves, who grasped their freshly discovered opportunity and gradually transformed the town into a steady and tranquil angling town.
Despite the fact that manors created during frontier times, Ocho Rios never developed as an organic product shipping port of any result. Things started to change during the 1940s when Reynolds Jamaica Mines manufactured the profound water Reynolds Pier west of town. An overhead transport line despite everything conveys bauxite mineral 10 km from the Reynolds open-cast mines at Lydford, in the slopes south of town.
In any case, Ocho Rios was still only a calm town during the 1960s when the Jamaican government shaped the St Ann Development Company (SADC), under the course of the Urban Development Corporation (UDC), and afterward propelled a deliberate advancement. It dug the harbor and manufactured a little marina, recovered the shore, got sand for Turtle Beach, and assembled shopping buildings and lodging plans. By the mid-1980s, Ocho Rios’ character had been built up: a merge of American-style cheap food establishments, uninspiring shopping centers, an enclave of fair lodgings around, and progressively elegant, upscale English-style inns a discrete separation east. The development of Island Village, a significant shopping and amusement complex has tidied up ‘Ochi.’
Today, Ocho Rios expands four miles between Dunn’s River Falls, two miles toward the west of the town community and the White River, two miles toward the east. Practically all the advancement outside the middle is toward the east.